Well, I went out and worked three dogs. Jag, Cash and Corbie. Jag I worked on driving mostly. Since we won't be trialing until spring I just work him to keep him fresh and because he would not be happy if he didn't get to work. When we get closer to trialing I will be fine tuning him more, not that I will let him get away with anything now. But he is a happy dog and was arooing me all the way back to the house.
Corbie did well, but I did need to get her out on a couple of her flanks. Then it was like she was sulking as she didn't want to drive very well for me. So, I got her to drive in a straight line, then did a left handed outrun and called it quits.
Cash did very well. He was giving to my pressure on his outruns. I have had trouble with him being tight at the top. I was rereading Julie Hill's book and worked on what she suggested for a dog who is tight at the top. I would lie him down and go part of the way out and then send him. I would then walk to where I knew he would start to be tight so that I could put pressure on him to get him out. He took to that very nicely and was then giving and flanking very nicely on his right handed outrun. Once I got a nice outrun I quit on a positive note for him. Then he held the ewes off of the feeder for me. I then wanted to show Steve how he has been flanking and he did a tight one right away. I had to correct him and then he did fine. I just can't give this dog an inch at all, I always need to be on my toes with him. :-)
Then when Steve got home he worked his dog, Stryker. He is working on driving as Stryker is wanting to slide up the side of his sheep. I had Steve be really quick to see when Stryker would start to sneak up on the side and be ready to down him and make him get back to where he is supposed to be. He was starting to catch on by the time we quit. We needed to quit as we were getting covered in snow. It was so cool to be out working dogs in the snow.
No comments:
Post a Comment